Vehicle/ Screen Identification Checklist
Below is a sample of questions that may need to be asked to identify screens. Use this as a training tool for new staff and as a refresher for existing staff. Not all questions will be relevant to all vehicles, and some knowledge will come simply with time in the job but this information is a good starting point. Use this to add notes and amend to be relevant for your specific location and client base.
BASIC INFO REQUIREMENTS FROM EVERY CUSTOMER
Verify Vehicle and Insurance details:
- REGISTRATION NUMBER - ENSURE YOU REPEAT THIS BACK USING PHONETIC ALPHABET OR OTHER SUCH
- CHECK INSURANCE DETAILS – CONFIRM INSURER AND POLICY/CLAIM NUMBER
- GET DATE OF LOSS AND CIRCUMSTANCES OF LOSS - HOW DAMAGE OCCURRED (required by insurer)
- IF MALICIOUS DAMAGE- HAVE POLICE BEEN NOTIFIED- IF YES- GET FILE NUMBER (required by insurer)
- IF CHARGE INVOICE (TO A COMPANY, NOT INSURANCE) CONFIRM PURCHASE ORDER NUMBER.ENSURE THEY HAVE A VALID CHARGE ACCOUNT WITH YOUR
- IF COMPANY – GET FIRST & LAST NAME AND CONTACT NUMBER OF PERSON BOOKING IN JOB
- WHEREON THE SCREEN IS THE CHIP/CRACK LOCATED?
- WHAT SIZE IS YOUR CHIP IN COMPARISON TO A $2 COIN? (If larger, may require screen replacement)
- ARE THERE ANY CRACKS RUNNING FROM THE CHIP? IF SO, HOW LONG ARE THEY?
- DOES THE CRACK EXTEND FROM UNDER THE MOULDING OR FROM THE EDGE OF THE SCREEN? (Possibly repairable however best if assessed first by glazier)
- WHAT SHAPE IS THE CHIP? STAR/MOON SHAPE/PITTED
IF A REPLACEMENT, IDENTIFY WINDSCREEN
As the customer is giving you information you should have looked up the vehicle in Carjam or Motochek and then start a search for the model/screen in www.windscreens.co.nz
Explain to the customer that with so many variations you have to ask some questions to make sure you order the correct screen for them. Extra time spent here will save a lot of inconvenience all round if you order correctly.
WILL APPLY TO ALL VEHICLES:
- DOES YOUR SCREEN HAVE A TINT TO IT? BRONZE, GREEN?
- DOES YOUR SCREEN HAVE A BAND AT THE TOP? IF YES – WHAT COLOUR? BLUE/GREEN/GREY?
- IS YOUR CAR A SEDAN, HATCH, LIFT BACK, VAN ETC – HOW MANY DOORS 3/5 FOR HATCH/LIFT
- IS YOUR REAR VISION MIRROR ATTACHED TO THE GLASS OR TO THE ROOF?
- DO YOUR LIGHTS OR WIPERS TURN ON AUTOMATICALLY? (Rain or light sensors)
MORE LIKELY TO APPLY TO LATER MODEL VEHICLE ie AFTER 2007
- IS IT HEATED? UNSURE – DO YOU NEED TO MANUALLY DE-ICE? CAN YOU SEE SMALL WIRES AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN?
- ARE THERE ANY OTHER FEATURES ON YOUR WINDSCREEN - CAMERA, SENSORS, SOLAR, HEAD UP DISPLAY ETC?
- DOES IT HAVE ROUNDED/SQUARE CORNERS? IF MULTIPLE CHOICE FOR SAME VEHICLE
- IS IT NZ NEW/AUSTRALIAN/JAPANESE (FOR SOME OLDER MODELS)
- WHICH SIDE OF VEHICLE? PASSENGER OR DRIVERS SIDE? (Left or Right for the glass supplier is established when looking at the car from the inside ie drivers side is RHS, passenger is LHS)
- WHICH GLASS IS IT FRONT OR REAR?
- IS IT THE SMALL QUARTER LIGHT WINDOW? (TRIANGLE GLASS)
- IF DOOR GLASS - WAS THE UP/DOWN MECHANISM WORKING BEFORE BREAKAGE?
- IF REAR SCREEN - DOES IT HAVE A REAR DEMISTER/HEATER? - DOES IT HAVE THE WIPER IN THE GLASS OR ON THE BODY?
- TINT CODE - ASK THE CUSTOMER TO GO TO OPPOSITE SIDE OF VEHICLE AND ADVISE THE CODE STARTING WITH M PRINTED ON THE GLASS. THIS WILL ALSO WORK FOR REAR SCREEN IF NO GLASS LEFT
- DO YOU HAVE PRIVACY OR AFTER MARKET TINT ON GLASS? WHAT %AGE (IF KNOWN)
- IF UTE - IS IT A CANOPY GLASS
- SERIAL NUMBER OF CANOPY
- WHICH GLASS IS IT IF SIDE GLASS ON CANOPY?
- IF TAILGATE – DO LOCKS WORK?
- IF VAN – DOES IT HAVE 2 REAR DOORS THAT OPEN OUT TO THE SIDE OR ONE THAT OPENS UPWARD?
- IS THERE A SMALL WINDOW IN EACH DOOR?
- In a car park –Be aware that Health & Safety regulations may mean work may not be able to be done in public car parks such as malls, airports – this may vary from location to location
- If at a workplace – where will the keys be – at reception? The colour of the car is helpful if a large car park
- If at a school – teachers generally can not be contacted when in class so make sure arrangements for keys/vehicle don’t rely on contact with owner when glazier on site
- In winter or bad weather – is the vehicle under cover and is the space large enough to allow both front doors to be open?